1 pound ground beef
3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
1 cup field fare frozen peas
1 cup sliced carrots, cooked
2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup shortening
7 to 8 tablespoons ice water
- In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients (mixture will be soft). Divide into fourths; shape each portion into 12 small meatballs. Brown meatballs in batches in a large skillet; drain and set aside.
- Drain tomatoes, reserving liquid. Combine liquid with cornstarch; pour into skillet. Add tomatoes and bouillon; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Stir in peas and carrots. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°. For crust, in a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing lightly with a fork. Transfer to a lightly floured surface. Knead gently to form a dough. (Mixture will be very crumbly at first, but will come together and form a dough as it’s kneaded.) Divide dough in half.
- Roll each half of dough between two pieces of lightly floured waxed paper to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Remove top piece of waxed paper from one pastry circle; invert onto a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Remove remaining waxed paper. Trim pastry even with rim. Add meatballs; spoon tomato mixture over top.
- Remove top piece of waxed paper from remaining pastry circle; invert onto pie. Remove remaining waxed paper. Trim, seal and flute edge. Cut slits in top; brush with cream.
- Bake until crust is golden brown, 45-50 minutes. Cover edges loosely with foil during the last 10 minutes if needed to prevent overbrowning. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Many thanks to www.tasteofhome.com for this Recipe